If you don’t have an expert involved, HR administration is one area that could take a very long time to get things done the right way. TMF Group UAE has been helping businesses grow locally and internationally by lending their HR expertise since 2006. We are the global experts in helping your HR be compliant to local needs, wherever you operate. Our in-country teams are culturally aware and keep up-to-date with changes in local regulations.
Visa and immigration services
The UAE is still young country with a very diverse population and its work permit and visa regulation system is based on best practice from around the world.
Expatriates make up around 80% of the UAE’s population and this entire foreign workforce requires a work permit or resident permit to live and work here. This means you need to pay special attention to ensure full compliance with the work permit regulations set by the UAE Immigration Authority and Ministry of Labour.
The Immigration and Naturalisation Department and the Ministry of Labour issue working visas for six months or two to three years, as well as business visas for travellers. Before applying for work visas, it is important to carefully choose a job title; this will be mentioned on the visa, and certain job titles will enable an employee to travel more freely within the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) and surrounding countries. The work permit or residence permit application usually takes up to 15 working days, but it’s not the only paperwork you’ll need for employees: all those resident in the UAE – both UAE nationals and non-nationals - are required to have an ID card.
While the application process is underway, you should ensure your passports meet the minimum validity period to keep your visa active. Heavy travelers might want to consider applying for a second passport.
You may also be required to apply for residential visas for the employee’s family or their residence personnel. For example, it’s illegal for a male to sponsor a nanny without also having his wife sponsored, and an employee can only sponsor their spouse if they are married.
- HR advisory and support: Our local team can offer consultancy and advice on any aspects of the UAE Labour Law, Free Zone laws, regulations, jurisdictional differences, employment law, employment practice, salary packages, contracts, on-boarding and more, and offer any support that your company might require.
- Re-location consulting: Moving employees to a new location or different jurisdiction can be a headache. We can assist with making the transition easier by helping with the necessary contract changes, provide advice on living in the UAE, explain the labour law requirements and help with on-boarding new employees. We can also assist your employees moving to the UAE by easing the documentation burden, assisting with the process of meeting the local requirements for joining a new company and advising on employment rights.
- Labour law and employment contracts advice: Want some help with localising your employment contracts or ensuing your internal contracts meet the Labour Law requirements? We can provide advice on the requirements as well as employee rights in the UAE.
- Employment and employee transfer: Moving employees from one jurisdiction to another, even within the UAE, can be difficult. Whether it be an international move, changing employment from an onshore company to a Free Zone or from Free Zone to Free Zone there will be different regulations and processes involved. We can support you through the full process and assist with all the local documentation required.
- Attestation support: Local attestation of documents in the Ministy of Foreign Affairs or the local Courts will be needed, and our team can help. We can also arrange for translation services if required.
- Visit visas and work permits for GCC countries: We not only handle employment visa and immigration process for the UAE, but can assist with arranging visit visas and work permits for other GCC countries if you or your employees are travelling within the region.
- Immigration permits (corporate and individual): If required, we can support companies with the immigration processes and assist with immigration permits and filings.
TMF Group UAE also assists your employees to obtain work permits in the UAE. These procedures depend on the personal circumstance of the employee and we can advise the employee on the most efficient way to proceed with their visa application. Our services here can include:
- Information about the detailed administrative steps and guidance in obtaining the work permit; this comprehensive information is based on the individual circumstance of your company and employee
- Supplying the standard template of an employment contract and providing you with administrative advice in relation to this employment contract
- Providing guidance in regard to the document attestation to be done outside the UAE
- Executing document legalisation in the UAE with the ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Correspondences with the authority in regard to the work permit including the documents/government fees submission and follow up on the application; in some jurisdictions, we may require close cooperation with your local staff when submitting the documentation
- Organising the employee's medical fitness test for the work permit purpose.
To view more about TMF Group in the UAE click here